Firefox 3 gets a thumbs-up from me

Edit: Unfortunately, the images originally included in this post are gone, because of hosting problems in late 2009. My apologies.

I don’t usually like Firefox — it’s bloated, it’s slow and it’s a bit overblown — but I find my Crux builds to be satisfactory. Version 3 is an improvement from my perspective.

It does have a faster feel about it. And the versions I build with optimization flags run even faster, even if they don’t always behave … properly. I get some occasional strange behavior (like not being able to install an extension, or not being able to post a reply to a forum thread) so I have to back off the flags again, and see if that helps at all.

It does seem to be a little more Linux-friendly too. I don’t have to manhandle the font settings any longer, or adopt an out-of-date theme to keep it from looking like a glossy, bulbous tumor on my otherwise smooth and angular desktop.

I have a little more experimentation to do, but otherwise I’m satisfied to use it. It’s not my favorite program, but it will do in a pinch. And with this two-pane style I have (learned from the Gnome Ubuntu desktop, which seems to like to pane the windows by default) it’s somewhat useful.

6 thoughts on “Firefox 3 gets a thumbs-up from me”

  1. xabbott

    Since FF3 will do in a pinch, aside from those moments are you still using Kazehakase?

    I tried so many browsers in Linux and the only one I could use day to day aside from FF was Epiphany.

    Reply ↓
  2. Pingback: More random notes about everything « Motho ke motho ka botho

  3. K.Mandla Post author

    Works fine — except scrolling with the mouse wheel causes some distortion. Dragging the slider is error-free though, and navigating by keyboard or with the embedded links is okay. Redraws are clean too.

    What happens to it in Ubuntu?

    Reply ↓
  4. chris4585

    When you scrolled the website would appear to have glitches, some instances the website would turn white.

    Reply ↓
  5. Gripp

    hmm, the site works perfectly fine for me, but i’m FF2 because 3 didn’t have my favorite add-ons available (del.icio.us, all in one, downloadhelper, etc.) last time i installed it. other than that it was a good browser.

    Reply ↓

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. ( Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s